Wednesday, August 22, 2018

THE FIRST TIME EVER I SAW YOUR FACE - Roberta Flack - The first time, ever I saw your face I thought the sun rose in your eyes And the moon and the stars Were the gifts you gave To the dark, and the endless skies My Love And the first time, ever I kissed your mouth I felt the earth move in my hands Like the trembling heart Of a captive bird That was there, at my command My Love


..................... . . . . . . . . . . . ...
The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face
Roberta Flack
Writer: Ewan MacColl
Album: First Take


Performed at the Radio 2 Folk Awards as a tribute to Hall of Fame inductee Ewan MacColl. Guy Garvey from Elbow is joined by Ewan MacColl’s sons Calum MacColl, Neill MacColl, daughter-in-law Kate St. John, plus Duncan Lyall on bass and Harry Mead on percussion.
 
  
From the 2012 PBS Special "from Dust to Dreams" filmed on Opening Night at "The Smith Center For The Performing Arts" in Las Vegas Nevada. 
lyrics 
The first time, ever I saw your face
I thought the sun rose in your eyes
And the moon and the stars
Were the gifts you gave
To the dark, and the endless skies
My Love


And the first time, ever I kissed your mouth
I felt the earth move in my hands
Like the trembling heart
Of a captive bird
That was there, at my command
My Love


And the first time, ever I lay with you
I felt your heart so close to mine
And I knew our joy
Would fill the earth
And last, til the end of time
My Love
And last, 'til the end of time
My love


The first time, ever I saw
Your face
Your face
Your fa-ace
Your face

This was the breakout hit for Roberta Flack; it was #1 in the US for six weeks. Flack had released two solo albums without commercial success, as her blend of jazz and folk styles struggled to find an audience. 
Folk singer Ewan MacColl wrote this in 1957 for his lover Peggy Seeger. She was in a play and phoned him for suggestions on a song for a romantic scene. MacColl wrote this on the spot in less than an hour, playing it over the phone for his wife to use in her play. "We weren't really getting along at the time," Peggy Seeger recalled to Mojo magazine of the romantic epic in a 2015 interview. "After all, he was married to someone else then."
MacColl was married to his second wife, Jean Newlove at the time. He left her for Peggy Seeger and the pair eventually tied the knot in 1977.
This was used in the 1972 Clint Eastwood movie Play Misty For Me. It gave a great deal of exposure to the mostly unknown Flack.
This won the Grammy awards in 1973 for Song of the Year and Record of the Year, beating out Don McLean's "American Pie" in both categories.
Many artists have covered this, including Elvis Presley, Johnny Cash, Mel Torme, Isaac Hayes, and Gordon Lightfoot.
Peggy Seeger recorded her own dance version on Folksploitation, a 2012 album that found the 77-year-old folk-singer collaborating with a DJ/producer operating under the name Broadcaster. "I couldn't sing it for 15 years after Ewan died but now I love to," she told Mojo.
The title is the first words of the lyrics, but that is the only place those words appear.
Leona Lewis covered this on her 2007 debut album Spirit. 

"The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face" is a 1957 folk song written by Ewan MacColl for his wife Peggy Seeger. It was popularized by Roberta Flack and became a breakout hit for the singer after it appeared in the 1971 Clint Eastward film Play Misty for Me, and In the film X-Men Days of Future Past. Though the song first appeared on Flack's 1969 album First Take, it topped the Billboard Hot 100 and won the Grammy Award for Song of the Year three years later. Paulo Domiciano






No comments:

Post a Comment