Wednesday, April 8, 2020

SILENCE IS GOLDEN - let us take a page out of Job’s book and not say things about God that we don’t understand - God’s ways are not our ways - sometimes we just need to not speak, because a modest silence is often the proper response to the mystery of God - “I have spoken what I did not understand, things too wonderful for me, which I did not know.” — I have an allergy to certain pious phrases that I know are meant to give comfort but do not. The first of these is: “It was God’s will!” I am a big believer in the will of God, and have often found meaning in some very difficult, even tragic, experiences, usually in hindsight. But this particular axiom should be used sparingly. God doesn’t go around giving children cancer or throwing people off of bicycles! Another saying I have to grit my teeth over is the one about God opening and closing doors. Sometimes it’s “God never closes a door without opening another door” or “God never closes a door without opening a window!” Again, I know this is meant to be comforting, and perhaps means nothing more than when you lose an opportunity, there will be another ahead. But why bring God into it? It’s not Biblical, and it’s not even true. Sometimes all the doors are closed. Sometimes they are slammed! Sometimes they hit you in the face.


mâranathâ hashtag on Twitter
...............................................................................................................................................................
Job's Last Words“Silence is Golden!”
.
Job | Lesson 9 in Character by Character, series 2
let us take a pge out of Job’s let us take a page out of Job’s book and not say things about God that we don’t understand - God’s ways are not our ways - sometimes we just need to not speak, because a modest silence is often the proper response to the mystery of God
A Devotion on Job 42:3

by richardlfloyd






“I have spoken what I did not understand, things too wonderful for me, which I did not know.” — Job 42:3



I was taught never to say, “Shut up!”
It was considered rude. So, I still don’t.
2016d Book of Job | Sabbath School Net - Part 4But I am tempted from time to time. I have an allergy to certain pious phrases that I know are meant to give comfort but do not, at least to me.
The first of these is: “It was God’s will!”
I am a big believer in the will of God, and have often found meaning in some very difficult, even tragic, experiences, usually in hindsight.
But this particular axiom should be used sparingly, if at all.
Job 42:2 I know that you can do every thing, and that no thought ...God doesn’t go around giving children cancer or throwing people off of bicycles! What kind of God would this be?
Another saying I have to grit my teeth over is the one about God opening and closing doors.
Sometimes it’s “God never closes a door without opening another door” or “God never closes a door without opening a window!”
Again, I know this is meant to be comforting, and perhaps means nothing more than when you lose an opportunity, there will be another ahead.
I’m good with that.
But why bring God into it? It’s not Biblical, and it’s not even true.
Sometimes all the doors are closed. Sometimes they are slammed! Sometimes they hit you in the face.
Job | SeekGrowLove.comSo, let us take a page out of Job’s book and not say things about God that we don’t understand.
It’s OK not to understand the ways of God. God’s ways are not our ways. Sometimes we just need to not speak, because a modest silence is often the proper response to the mystery of God.
Prayer: Let all mortal flesh keep silence, Holy One, before your mystery and majesty.

I am an ordained minister, author, writer and blogger, living on the edge of a marsh (see header pic) in the Berkshire Hills of Western Massachusetts with my wife Martha.
I am Pastor Emeritus of First Church of Christ in Pittsfield, Massachusetts, where I served for 22 years. Before that I served congregations in Maine and was a seminary chaplain.
“When I Survey . . .”  contains some of my ruminations on a variety of topics, including, but not limited to, theology, pastoral ministry, the church, ecumenism, cooking, food and wine, the arts, books, films, music, poetry, politics, traumatic brain injury, New England Sports teams, memories, and the occasional rant.
I have also archived here many of my published and unpublished essays, book reviews, hymns, devotions, special-occasion sermons, papers and addresses from my four decades as a pastor-theologian. Glad you found me. Take a look around and come back anytime.
Follow me on Twitter @rfloyd7.
Home

No comments:

Post a Comment