Wednesday, January 24, 2018

NO DETOUR THROUGH PAIN - Joni Eareckson Tada - Constantly trying to avoid pain cuts us off from experiencing true, biblical joy that God gives when we suffer as Jesus suffered.


.
Joni Eareckson Tada
No Detour Through Pain

Hi, I’m Joni Eareckson Tada with a word on National Arthritis Month. 
It’s got to be one of the most discouraging ailments around, especially when a low pressure system rolls in, right? .
I have arthritis in both my hips – not sure how I developed it, given that I haven’t walked or run in almost five decades! But I guess the hips can get a lot of wear and tear when you sit down all the time like I do.
And believe me, when I see storm clouds gathering in the distance, the first place I feel it is in my hips. The pain and stiffness can be so debilitating, and if you have arthritis, I know you understand. So what do you do with all that pain?
Well, some reach for Tylenol; some bend and stretch and drink lots of water; some immerse themselves in a really good distraction like a house project, or a good book, or an outing with friends.  
Still others just put their head down and plow through pain.  We do everything we can to avoid it.
Pain, especially severe pain from arthritis, is something most people dread. We fear it. We do anything to escape it.

But did you know that a common obstacle to celebrating life fully is your avoidance of pain? 
Our culture does everything it can to try to convince us that we really can live a painless life.
Culture insists that pain is abnormal and that it can be done away with. If it can’t be subdued by drugs, it can be eradicated through acupuncture or surgery.

And if that doesn’t work, you can immerse yourself in bio-feedback to convince your mind that the pain is really not there; it’s all in your head.
Some people spend a fortune doing nothing but hopping from one treatment to the next, all in the pursuit of a pain-free life. But is that even possible?

Well, if you look at the Bible, you begin to understand that life is supposed to be difficult.
Even Jesus said that in this world we would have trouble.
And when He carried the painful burden of His own cross, He tells us in I Peter chapter 2 that that has set an example of how we are to approach pain.
Look, I'm not glorifying suffering; I'm not saying pain is a really good thing, but to be constantly trying to avoid it, well to do that, is to live half-alive. 
That’s because God has designed true joy, I mean real biblical joy, to always be filtered through pain. 
God shares His joy on His terms, and those terms call for us to, in some measure, suffer as Jesus suffered.
So when we cut ourselves off from pain, we have unwittingly cut ourselves off from joy as well. And that’s the truth. 
When we become Christians, we don’t get a detour around problems; we get a guided tour through them. 
First Thessalonians 5:18 says we’re called to ‘rejoice always’ and ‘give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.’
So today, if a low pressure is on the horizon and your arthritis is acting up, sure, reach for the medicine cabinet and take the edge off your pain as best you can.
But don’t think it can be totally eradicated. .
Take a deep breath and look for the blessings God can give in the midst of pain, blessings like a deeper trust, a sweeter nearness with your Savior who has suffered; a dependence on prayer and God's Word; the chance to be united with Him in His afflictions, and a stronger reliance on His grace. 
For that’s when your Heavenly Father will pour out His joy into your heart.  
If Jesus could endure His cross for the joy that was set before Him, then today, give thanks in your painful circumstances, for as you do, the door may well open, surprisingly … to God’s joy.
Would you want God to change your life?
God has made it possible for you to know Him and experience an amazing change in your own life through a relationship with His Son, Jesus Christ, and have eternal life.
Say the following prayer:
“Heavenly Father,
I admit that I am a sinner and my sins have separated me from You. I now want to turn away from my past sinful life and begin a new life with You. I receive Your free gift of salvation.
Please forgive me. I now receive your Son, Jesus Christ as my Savior, my Master and my Lord. I believe and confess that Jesus Christ died for my sins, was buried, and rose from the dead.
I want to receive all that Jesus Christ has provided for me as my Savior. Your Word says, ‘Whosoever shall call on the name of the Lord shall be saved’ (Romans 10:13).
I believe and confess that Jesus Christ is the Way, the Truth, and the Life, and no man comes unto the Father, but by Him.
Lord Jesus, I pray and ask You, to come into my heart and be Lord of my life. I thank You that you have given me eternal life, and according to Your Word, I am born again and I am now a child of God.
Heavenly Father, thank You for the gift of the Holy Spirit Who is in me now to help me do Your will for the rest of my life. I surrender my life to You. I promise to study Your Word – the Bible.
Use me for Your glory.
In Jesus’ Name. Amen.”
If you have just put your trust in Jesus Christ, you have been born into God’s family.
As a spiritual baby, you need to grow by feeding on God’s Word – the Bible (1 Peter 2:2).
You must have a good modern translation Bible and begin prayerfully reading it. Start in the New Testament, such as the Gospel of John or Paul’s letters to the Ephesians.
As you read, ask two questions: “What are You, Lord?” “What do You want me to do?”
Also, you need to join a Christian fellowship where the Bible is taught and where God is truly worshiped.
God bless you as you begin your new life with Him! 

No comments:

Post a Comment